Changes in Practice
Mindlab - Week 32
Reflections:
The last activity and I thought it would be the
easiest one, but sitting down to try and write this final blog has been a
little like the roller-coaster ride I have been on to get myself to this point. It has been a mixture of demanding,
intimidating, at times frustrating but always challenging. At times over the
last 32 weeks I have felt a little like a hamster on a wheel. If the momentum
stopped I would find myself falling off the wheel. Somehow I managed to keep
myself going and now here I am at the end? Not really. This is just the
beginning and I am really excited about what the future holds. The Mindlab
course never failed to continually push me out of my comfort zone. The lectures
and group activities in the first 16 weeks provided an opportunity to engage
with other professionals, share experiences and ideas and work together on new
projects. Early in the course I remember reading a statement by Maxwell (2009)
that on reflection sums up the journey we have been on and highlights the
journey we are about to embark upon; “It’s not necessarily the experience that
is valuable; it’s the insight you get because of it. Reflective thinking turns
experience into insights!” As a result of the course I feel I have a deeper
level of self-awareness and that I am able to look more critically at my own
practice.
Criteria 5. Show leadership that
contributes to effective teaching and learning. Professional knowledge in
practice.
My school has
adopted a democratic style of learning where leadership roles fluctuate
depending on individual strengths and skills. My own practice has changed and I
have become more collaborative in my approach to all curriculum areas. In the
past where I have been reluctant to put myself forward I now take an active
part in leadership roles. I understand the benefits of a more distributed form
of leadership and am aware that having good communication skills and empathy
towards my colleagues means there are times where I naturally step into a
leadership role. I know that the Mindlab course has given me the confidence to
do this. I have also developed more cultural awareness of my school community
and have pushed for better inclusivity within the school.
Criteria 7: Promote a collaborative,
inclusive and supportive learning environment.
During the
research component of the course I chose to focus on student voice. The
literature review I performed indicated that the majority of successful
outcomes in the use of student voice within schools were the result of a
partnership between teachers and students. As a result of this research I have
increased the opportunities in which students have an opportunity to voice
their opinions and ideas. I have tried to create opportunities for more choice
and as much as possible to engage students by making their learning more
personalised. I have become more sensitive to the complications and intricacies
of our multicultural society and how my actions might impact on and influence
students from Maori and other cultures.
My Future Plans
I think my
main goal for the future is continue to develop professionally through reading,
questioning, debating and collaborating with others. I can see that critical reflection is the key
to this development. I hope to continue to take an active part in online forums
and now that I have more time on my hands to utilise some of the digital tools
we have explored through the course.
Maxwell, J. C.
(2009). How
successful people think: Change your thinking, change your life.
Hachette UK
.
Ministry
of Education (nd). Practising teacher Criteria and e-learning . Retrieved from http://elearning.tki.org.nz/Professional-learning/
No comments:
Post a Comment